Unfortunately, toothaches are quite common. Most of us have experienced that sensitive, stinging sensation. The discomfort can spread throughout your entire mouth, making it difficult to speak, smile, and even eat. The only thing worse than a toothache is struggling through it with a constant stomachache. At our Houston dental practice, Dr. Craig Armstrong and our team are committed to helping patients handle all sorts of oral health concerns. If you have a persistent toothache, you should come see us so that we can professionally diagnose your mouth and advise a course of treatment. However, in the meantime, we want you to be able to eat as comfortably as possible. In the following blog, we offer our healthy recipes for when your teeth hurt.
Sources of a Sore Smile
There are many reasons your teeth might develop a dull, sharp, or throbbing feeling. The most common culprits of a toothache include:
- Decay. This problem is quite pervasive. According to recent research from the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, “92 percent of adults 20 to 64 have had dental caries in their permanent teeth,” while “26 percent of adults…have untreated decay.” Cavities weaken the tooth’s enamel, making the nerves and blood vessels within more sensitive.
- Gum disease. The same bacteria that cause cavities can infect your gums, causing swelling and even tooth loss. This can cause toothache.
- Trauma. A mouth injury, such as a hit or fall, could certainly make your mouth sore. In addition to cracking or loosening your teeth, the impact could irritate your nerves.
- Dental procedures. If you’ve recently had a restoration such as a dental implant or a crown placed, your teeth might ache following the procedure.
These are just a few of the situations that might cause sensitivity. In truth, there are many reasons you could develop a toothache. Fortunately, Dr. Armstrong and our team are ready to assist you with any diagnosis.
Our Recommended Recipes
If you choose the right foods, you can still munch, even with a sore mouth. While you might be tempted to survive on a diet of ice cream and mashed potatoes, there are many healthy options, as well. A few of our favorites include:
- A tasty, low-sodium Green Bean Casserole Soup from Jeanette’s Healthy Living. This dish, made from garlic, onion, thyme, nutmeg, chicken broth, and cashew cream, has a bright color, rich texture, and excellent flavor.
- Chilled Cucumber Yogurt Soup from Nutrition Diva. This soup is simple to make with a fresh taste, and is served cold, making it an excellent option for the summertime. In addition, its cool temperature can help soothe your aching mouth.
- Well Plated’s Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole is complete with lean protein, nutritious veggies, the slight sweetness of cranberries, yummy melted cheese, and rich grains, making it a soft and satisfying meal for your mouth.
- For vegan eaters or spice aficionados, we suggest Light Orange Bean’s Curried Spinach Rice Lentil Bake.
- If you’re craving Italian, we recommend soft Bucatini Pasta with Winter Pesto and Sweet Potatoes from Country Living. This soft, healthy comfort food won’t derail your diet or mess up your mouth.
- Minimalist Baker offers up an outstanding recipe for Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta. This gluten-free treat is soft and flavorful.
In addition to all of the above, Kellie’s Food to Glow has recipes for veggie-packed savory bread pudding, protein-rich turkey meatloaf, frittata, creamy polenta, and more.
How We Can Help
Dr. Armstrong and our team are available to aid you with any type of toothache. You should absolutely enjoy our soft, nutritious suggestions while you wait for an appointment, but you should schedule a visit as soon as possible. Dr. Armstrong will examine your mouth, determine the source of your toothache, and create a customized treatment plan for you. We are also equipped to handle dental emergencies.
Are Your Teeth Feeling Tender?
Our dedicated dental team can help! Contact us today to find out more and schedule an appointment with Dr. Armstrong.
Original Source: https://www.craigarmstrongdds.com/healthy-eating/softly-scrumptious-healthy-recipes-for-when-your-teeth-hurt/