Bring your family to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR), hosted March 4-23 at Reliant Park. The 82nd annual spectacular will attract more than 1 million spectators during its three weeks of events. There is so much happening at the HLSR that everyone can find something they enjoy.
Join the audience and cheer on the finest rodeo athletes as they compete for over $2.04 million in added money.
Houston Livestock Show
Thousands of Texas 4-H and FFA exhibitors will be in attendance, with livestock including everything from poultry to heifers. It’s the world’s largest livestock show, showcasing exhibitors ages 9 to 18 who work for months preparing for the competition.
Join the masses visiting the Arena, where top horse competitions include the Ranch Rodeo event, breed shows, and two AQHA World Championship shows.
Make plans to attend a concert. You can check out some of the biggest names in music each day of the Stock Show. This year’s entertainers include country superstars like Brad Paisley, Jason Aldean, Keith Urban and Eli Young Band. Pop performers Selena Gomez and Maroon 5 are also on the schedule.
A major draw of the HLSR is the second largest fair in North America, located at the fairgrounds adjacent to the Stock Show, which includes the following:
- Agventure. Learn about agriculture in Hall A of Reliant Center, where nearly every species of livestock will be found at free exhibits. Children can milk cows at the milking parlor or even take a pony ride.
- Ranching and Wildlife Expo. The second floor of Reliant Center on the east end is home to various wildlife exhibits and educational seminars. Outdoor lovers will want to catch the auction for hunting and fishing trips.
- Carnival. Don’t miss La Grande Wheel – the Western Hemisphere’s largest portable Ferris wheel. The hop on Sky Ride, a 1,700-foot gondola, and get a view of Reliant Park from 58 feet up in the air. The dedicated children’s area, Kids Country Carnival, has tons of kid-friendly rides and games.
The HLSR Scholarship Program
The HLSR has a comprehensive scholarship program. To apply for any of the scholarships, you must be a resident of the state of Texas and plan to attend a college or university in the state. Eligibility requirements vary by award, but there are no restrictions on the major field of study for any scholarship. Do you know a future dental student? Craig Armstrong, DDS encourages you to let them know about the program!
The American Dental Association also offers a variety of scholarships to ease school expenses, which include tuition, fees, books and supplies. Click here for details about any of these scholarships:
- Dental Student Scholarship
- Underrepresented Minority Dental Student Scholarship
- Dental Hygiene Scholarship
- Dental Laboratory Technology Scholarship
- Dental Assisting Scholarship
See you at the Rodeo!
Image Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Reliant_Stadium_Houston_Rodeo.jpg